The Bibliography of British and Commonwealth Studies in Poland is a specialized database complementary to the Poland’s National Library catalogue. The BBCSP is meant to be a convenient source of comprehensive bibliographical information on broad range of publications regarding British and Commonwealth Socio-Political Studies in Poland. Since 2009, when our project has been launched, our aim is to catalogue books, scientific papers and texts of other categories that were published in Poland, or in Polish, or by Polish researchers, and regard the British Isles, the Commonwealth of Nations and former British colonies.
British and Commonwealth Studies are interdisciplinary in their character. The scope of research in this domain ranges from social and political issues – subject to research by scholars in Political Science, European Studies, Sociology, Social Psychology, History (including History of Ideas and History of Art) – to the issues covered by the Anthropology and Cultural Studies, Literature Studies, Economy, Law, Demography or Geography, hence the scattered information about available academic and popular scientific literature.
Presented database includes entries concerning:
- Works published in Poland (both in Polish and English);
- Works published abroad in the Polish language;
- Works published by Polish authors abroad in foreign languages.
At the moment the BBCSP consists of a catalogue arranged in alphabetical order. In the future, there is also planned a catalogue in systematic order, based on key words. The alphabetical catalogue is divided into subsections devoted to a range of publishing categories The systematic catalogue will integrate publications belonging to different categories (like Polish monographs, monographs translated from foreign languages, and academic papers) into thematically coherent lists. The BBCSP will also be supplemented with entries concerning a selection of fiction, poetry, drama and works of other literary categories, as well as films, which have direct impact on the British and Commonwealth Socio-Political Studies in Poland.
Board of Editors of the BBCSP heartily invites all scholars to cooperate!
Description of Categories
At that moment there are following publishing categories distinguished in the Alphabetical Catalogue of the Bibliography of British and Commonwealth Studies in Poland:
- Published Documents and Primary-Source Materials – this category includes translations of British and Commonwealth Bills, and other normative acts, or government documentation, published in Polish.
- Diaries, Memoirs and Autobiographies - this category incorporates diaries, memoirs and other autobiographical sources concerning, first, British and Commonwealth statesmen and public persons or celebrities, and secondly, diaries and memoirs authored by persons of Polish and foreign origins, which are related to Britain or the Commonwealth countries.
- Works Translated from Foreign Languages – this category includes works of academic and popular scientific literature written in foreign languages and translated into Polish (published either in Poland or abroad).
- Monographs and Edited Books Written in Poland or in Polish – this category includes, first, works of scientific literature in Polish or English which were published in Poland; secondly, works in Polish which were published abroad; and thirdly, works of Polish scholars which were published abroad.
- Chapters in Edited Books – this category includes, first, academic papers in Polish or English which were published in edited books in Poland; secondly, academic papers in Polish which were published in edited books abroad; and thirdly, academic papers authored by Polish scholars which were published in edited books abroad.
- Academic Papers – this category includes, first, academic papers in Polish or English which were published in peer-reviewed journals in Poland; secondly, academic papers in Polish which were published in peer-reviewed journals abroad; and thirdly, academic papers authored by Polish scholars which were published in peer-reviewed journals abroad.
- Encyclopaedias and Dictionaries – this category includes works of academic and popular scientific literature like encyclopaedias or dictionaries that treat, wholly or in distinguished parts, of British and Commonwealth Socio-Political Studies and were published in Poland or in Polish.
- Research and Scientific Reports, Bulletins, and Conference Proceedings – this category includes scientific and analytical materials which, first, were published in Poland; secondly, were published in Polish abroad; and thirdly, which were published by Polish scholars abroad.
- Graphic Novels – this category includes graphic novels published in Poland which were, first, created in the British Isles, the Commonwealth or in a former British colony; secondly, created by artists of British nationality in other countries; or thirdly, in other countries if they address the problems of British and Commonwealth Socio-Political Studies.
- Literary Fiction and Literary Critique – this category includes works of literary fiction, science fiction, literary critique, reportage, and other categories of writing, which were published in Poland, or in Polish, and have particularly influenced social life (or its perception) in Britain and in other Commonwealth countries.
Chairman of the Programming Board: prof. dr hab. Franciszek Gołembski
Editors: dr Przemysław Biskup, dr Małgorzata Kaczorowska, dr Wojciech Lewandowski
Members of the Editorial Board: dr Krzysztof Winkler, Adam Dąbrowski M.A., Rafał Kamiński M.A., Anna Krawczyk M.A., Bartłomiej Pędzich M.A., Jarosław Szczepański M.A.